The Commoner’s House

Tammisaaren museokeskus EKTA > Torpasta linnaan

The Commoner’s House presents a picture of the life of a well-to-do craftsman in the 19th century. The yellow two-storey main building was built in the 1790s. The styles represented by the different rooms are those of the Gustavian, late Biedermeier and Neo-Rococo periods.

The row of outbuildings painted in red ochre was completed in 1824 and includes a cellar, farmhand’s quarters, a bakery, a food store, a firewood shed, a wagon shed, stables, a cow-house and a privy. The house used to be a merchant’s residence. It was bought in 1857 by Anders Johan Blomqvist, master watchmaker, who lived on the premises until he died in 1908. His daughter, Alfhild Blomqvist, sold the premises and some personal property to the city of Ekenäs in 1947. After careful restoration the building was opened to the public as a museum in 1949.

> EKTA museum
> The Photographer’s Studio
> Helene Schjerfbeck’s life and art

Address: Gustav Wasas gata 11
Opening Hours: 26.4-26.8.2018 Tue – Sun 11-17, 26.8-31.12.2018 Wed – Sun 11-17. Also open by appointment.
Enquiries: +358-(0)19-289 2512, email: museum(at)raseborg.fi, www.ektamuseum.fi
Entrance Fee: Adults 8 €, seniors and students 5 €. Under 18s free.
Groups (min. 10 persons) 5 € / person + guided tour 50 € (weekend 70 €).
The fee includes entry to all units within the Museum Centre.
Linkswww.ektamuseum.fiwww.ekenas.fi/virtualmuseumwww.facebook.com/EKTAmuseum
Temporary exhibitions:
Christmas exhibition 1.12.2018-6.1.2019
Other museums to visit:  The Commoner’s HouseThe Photographer’s Studio
Services:  Café WC Museum shop
AccessibilityDisabled access and WC  Ear loop