Lohja Museum

> Lohja > From Cottage to Castle

Lohja Museum is located in the historically important vicarage area (Iso-Pappila), close to the medieval church. The park-like museum area comprises eleven buildings. The permanent exhibitions describing living conditions in different parts of the society in the Lohja area have been set up in these buildings. The exhibitions consist of interiors from the end of the 19th century through to the 1970s. The well maintained garden is home to flowers, herbs and fruit trees.

 

The museum grounds are divided into two sections, one for dwelling houses and one for barns and other outbuildings.  The main dwelling was designed by architect August Boman. To the right of the main building lies the parish curate’s house, built in 1780. One end of the building provides the setting for a summer café.  In the barn loft, carriages and wagons from Vaanila Farm are exhibited. The new permanent exhibition ”Our home town Lohja” was opened in two installments in 2011 and 2012 in Lohja Pedagogio, Finland’s oldest rural school building, built in 1769.

 

Exhibitions are also organised by Lohja Museum in the Linder Hall in Lohja main library (Karstuntie 3). The hall is open during the library opening hours. In Sammatti, both Paikkari Cottage and Johannes Lohilampi Museum with its ”art barn”, an art exhibition venue, are administered by Lohja Museum.

Iso-Pappila Main Building

> The Warden’s Building

 

Address: Rovastinkatu 1, (Iso-Pappila)
Opening Hours:  Tue, thu-fri 11-17, wed 11-19, sat-sun 12-16
Enquiries: +358-(0)19-369 4204, email: museo(a)lohja.fi
Entrance Fee: Adults 5€, children and seniors 3€.Winter: Adults 3,00 €, children and seniors 2,00 €, groups 1,50 €/person(Min. 10 persons) . On wednesdays two persons for the price of one. Guided tour 50 €, outside opening hours 70 €.
Links: www.lohja.fi/museo
Temporary exhibitions, events:  For more information see www.lohja.fi/museo
Other museums to visit: Tytyri Mine museum, Johannes Lohilampi museum
ServicesMuseum shop,  WC,  café in the summer.
Accessibility: Partial disabled access,  disabled-WC

Huom!The Museum’s location on the map is wrong. The museum is located near the Rovastinkadun and Lime Street intersection.