Hvitträsk

> Kirkkonummi > In the Footsteps of Famous Finns

Hvitträsk was built in 1901-1903 by the architects Herman Gesellius, Armas Lindgren and Eliel Saarinen. The main building, constructed using natural stone and logs in the National Romantic style, was the shared studio of the architects, and also the home of Saarinen and Lindgren with families. Gesellius lived in the separate courtyard building “Lilla villan”, but eventually moved to into the north wing of the main building. Saarinen’s home is today a museum, “Lilla Villan” a restaurant, and the north wing is used for conferences. Hvitträsk and its adjoining gardens in English style are surrounded by forest, rock formations and the lake Vitträsk.

The main building, which acted as both an architect bureau and a cultural home, hosted visits from Gallen-Kallela and Maxim Gorkij, amongst others. The bureau staff also lived at Hvitträsk. Several architectural plans have been created at Hvitträsk, such as the plan for the railway station and the National Museum in Helsinki, and the proposed town plan for the area of Munkkiniemi-Haaga. Hvitträsk was renovated in 1992-2000, with the intention of restoring the rooms and the studio to the original condition of the time when the three architects resided there.

Address: Hvitträskintie 166, Luoma, Kirkkonummi
Opening Hours: 3.5 – 30.9, wed-sun 11.00 – 17.00.
Enquiries: +358-295 33 6952, +358 295 33 6951,  hvittrask@kansallismuseo.fi
Entrance Fee: 9,00 €. Reduced ticket 6€ ( students, senior citizens over 65 years, conscripts, and groups more than 10 persons) children 7-17  3,00 €. Free for under 7s. Family ticket 17€ (2 adults 1-4 children)
Links: www.nba.fi/fi/hvittrask
Temporary exhibitions, events:  See  www.nba.fi/fi/hvittrask
Other museums to visit: Paikkari Cottage
ServicesCafé and restaurant,  reservations and information +358 (0)9 297 6033          Museum shop
Accessibility: Liikuntaeste Poor disabled access